Knight and colleagues must be commended for their cross-sectional study from the UK Epilepsy and Pregnancy Register evidencing that children exposed to topiramate in utero had poorer levels of adaptive behaviour with a dose response effect [
- Knight R.
- et al.
Adaptive behaviour in children exposed to topiramate in the womb: an observational cohort study.
Seizure. 2023; 105: 56-64
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seizure - European Journal of Epilepsy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Adaptive behaviour in children exposed to topiramate in the womb: an observational cohort study.Seizure. 2023; 105: 56-64
- Preliminary findings of the developmental effects of in utero exposure to topiramate.Reprod Toxicol. 2012; 34: 308-311
- Association of prenatal exposure to antiseizure medication with risk of autism and intellectual disability.JAMA Neurol. 2022; 79 ([published correction appears in JAMA Neurol. 2022 Jul 1;79(7):727]): 672-681
- In utero exposure to antiepileptic drugs is associated with learning disabilities among offspring.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2018; 89: 1324-1331
- Risk of early neurodevelopmental outcomes associated with prenatal exposure to the antiepileptic drugs most commonly used during pregnancy: a French nationwide population- based cohort study.BMJ Open. 2020; 10e034829
- Topiramate during pregnancy and the risk of neurodevelopmental disorders in children.in: Proceedings of the 38th international conference on pharmacoepidemiology and therapeutic risk management, Copenhagen, Denmark31. 2022: 47 (26–28 August 2022Harmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety#)
- Association of folic acid supplementation during pregnancy with the risk of autistic traits in children exposed to antiepileptic drugs in utero.JAMA Neurol. 2018; 75: 160-168
- [Topiramate and risks in children exposed during pregnancy: modification of the conditions of prescription and delivery to the women concerned].Agence Natl Sécur Méd Prod Santé. 2022; (6 Octoberupdated 2 November 2022. Available at) (Accessed 4 March 2023)https://ansm.sante.fr/actualites/topiramate-et-risques-chez-les-enfants-exposes-pendant-la-grossesse-modification-des-conditions-de-prescription-et-de-delivrance-aux-femmes-concernees-5
- Topiramate.Drug Usage Statistics, United States2020 (2013 –Available at)Accessed 4 March 2023)
- Pregnant women should be included in clinical trials to improve outcomes, says commission.BMJ. 2022; 377: o1193
- Prenatal exposure to teratogenic medications in the era of risk evaluation and mitigation strategies.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2022; 227: 263.e1-263.e38
- Contraceptive provision to adolescent females prescribed teratogenic medications.Pediatrics. 2016; 137https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2015-1454
Published online: March 15, 2023
Accepted: March 14, 2023
Received: March 11, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
© 2023 British Epilepsy Association. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.