- •We assess the perception of health professionals in Africa regarding the stigmatization of PWE.
- •PWE are stigmatized especially in the community setting, this stigmatization include isolation, celibacy, unemployment and divorce.
- •Measures against stigmatization must be undertaken, to improve the quality of epilepsy management.
- •Awareness campaigns are essential to reduce stigma and improve the quality of life of PWE.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seizure - European Journal of Epilepsy
- Epilepsy misconceptions and stigma reduction interventions in sub-Saharan Africa, a systematic review.Epilepsy Behav. 2018; 85: 217
- A scoping review of health-related stigma outcomes for high-burden diseases in low- and middle-income countries.BMC Med. 2019; 17: 17
- Perception of epilepsy in Turkey in the light of two different cities.Acta Clin Croat. 2013; 52: 5967
- The Stigma of Epilepsy: A European Perspective.Epilepsia. 2000; 41 (]): 98104
- Public Knowledge, Private Grief: A Study of Public Attitudes to Epilepsy in the United Kingdom and Implications for Stigma.Epilepsia. 2004; 45140515
- Epilepsy misconceptions and stigma reduction: Current status in Western countries.Epilepsy Behav. 2016; 60: 16573
- Aspects socioculturels de l’épilepsie en milieu rural centrafricain : données d'une enquête CAP en population générale.Rev Neurol (Paris). 2019; 175: S13
- A comparative study of health related quality of life, psychological well-being, impact of illness and stigma in epilepsy and migraine.Seizure. 2011; 20: 67985
- Being epileptic: coming to terms with stigma.Sociol Health Illn. 1986; 8: 2643
- Stigma on epileptic patients attending the outpatient clinic of Soba University Hospital and the National Center for Neurological Science (NCNS) Khartoum, Sudan.Pan Afr Med J. 2019; 32
- Epilepsy-associated stigma in Zambia: What factors predict greater felt stigma in a highly stigmatized population?.Epilepsy Behav. 2010; 19: 4148
- Stigma scale of epilepsy: validation process.Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2007; 65: 3542
- Validation and Reliability Study of the Turkish Version of the Stigma Scale of Epilepsy.Nöro Psikiyatri Arş. 2017; 54295300
- Reexamining epilepsy-associated stigma: validation of the Stigma Scale of Epilepsy in Zambia.Qual Life Res. 2015; 24: 14839
- Perceived stigma and associated factors among people with epilepsy at Gondar University Hospital, Northwest Ethiopia: a cross-sectional institution based study.Afr Health Sci. 2016; 15: 1211
- Etude de la stigmatisation de l’épileptique dans les Départements du Borgou, de l'Ouémé et du Plateau (BENIN).Bénin Méd. 2007; 36: 49-52
- Prévalence des troubles de la personnalité chez les épileptiques dans la commune de Djidja (Département du Zou) au Bénin.Le Bénin Médical. 2008; (39/40): 54-58
- Stigma and its public health implications.The Lancet. 2006; 367: 5289
- Stigma and functional disability in relation to marriage and employment in young people with epilepsy in rural Tanzania.Seizure. 2018; 54: 2732
- Perceived stigma and school attendance among children and adolescents with epilepsy in South Western Uganda.Afr Health Sci. 2020; 20: 37682
- Stigma interventions and research for international health.Lancet Lond Engl. 2006; 367: 5368
- Evaluation of an epilepsy education program for Grade 5 students: A cluster randomized trial.Epilepsy Behav. 2007; 10: 60410
- Improving the knowledge of epilepsy and reducing epilepsy-related stigma among children using educational video and educational drama—A comparison of the effectiveness of both interventions.Seizure. 2013; 22: 17984
Warren B, Margaret M and Anita F. Quality of Life and Stigma in Epilepsy, Perspectives from Selected Regions of Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa