- •Descriptive study of epilepsy surgery in privately-insured patients in the USA in the period 2006–2019.
- •Only a minority of patients with refractory epilepsy underwent epilepsy surgery and the proportion has barely changed from 2006 to 2019.
- •StereoEEG has progressively substituted subdural electrodes as the preferred form of long-term intracranial monitoring.
- •The median healthcare costs per person-year decreased by 59% after resective epilepsy surgery ($7,691 versus $18,750).
- •The median healthcare costs per person-year decreased by 51% after hemispherectomy ($26,834 versus $54,596).
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seizure - European Journal of Epilepsy
- Estimating risk for developing epilepsy: a population-based study in Rochester, Minnesota.Neurology. 2011; 76: 23-27
- Early identification of refractory epilepsy.N Engl J Med. 2000; 342: 314-319
- National and state estimates of the numbers of adults and children with active epilepsy - United States, 2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017; 66: 821-825
- Why is there still doubt to cut it out?.Epilepsy Curr. 2013; 13: 198-204
- What can we do for people with drug-resistant epilepsy? The 2016 Wartenberg lecture.Neurology. 2016; 87: 2483-2489
- Surgery for drug-resistant epilepsy in children.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 1639-1647
- Effectiveness and efficiency of surgery for temporal lobe epilepsy study, G. A randomized, controlled trial of surgery for temporal-lobe epilepsy.N Engl J Med. 2001; 345: 311-318
- Epilepsy surgery for pharmacoresistant temporal lobe epilepsy: a decision analysis.JAMA. 2008; 300: 2497-2505
- Pediatric refractory epilepsy: a decision analysis comparing medical versus surgical treatment.Epilepsia. 2015; 56: 263-272
- The next level of care in epilepsy: delays, more delays, delays everywhere.Neurol Clin Pract. 2019; 9: 284-285
- Epilepsy surgery, delays and referral patterns-are all your epilepsy patients controlled?.Seizure. 2003; 12: 167-170
- A survey of neurologists' views on epilepsy surgery and medically refractory epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2008; 13: 96-101
- Trends in hospitalization and readmission for pediatric epilepsy and underutilization of epilepsy surgery in the United States.Seizure. 2020; 80: 263-269
- Epilepsy surgery trends in the United States, 1990–2008.Neurology. 2012; 78: 1200-1206
- Population-based analysis of morbidity and mortality following surgery for intractable temporal lobe epilepsy in the United States.Arch Neurol. 2011; 68: 725-729
- United States epilepsy center characteristics: a data analysis from the national association of epilepsy centers.Neurology. 2022; 98: e449-e458
- Health care costs decline after successful epilepsy surgery.Neurology. 2007; 68: 1290-1298
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of epilepsy surgery in a controlled cohort of adult patients with intractable partial epilepsy: A 5-year follow-up study.Epilepsia. 2016; 57: 1669-1679
- Long-term reduction of health care costs and utilization after epilepsy surgery.Epilepsia. 2016; 57: 316-324
- Cost-effectiveness of surgery for drug-resistant temporal lobe epilepsy in the US.Neurology. 2020; 95: e1404-e1416
- Health care system costs associated with surgery and medical therapy for children with drug-resistant epilepsy in Ontario.Neurology. 2022; 98: e1204-e1215
Truven Health MarketScan Research Databases / Watson Health. IBM MarketScan research databases for life sciences researchers. 2020. URL: https://www.ibm.com/downloads/cas/OWZWJ0QO.
- Observation stays in administrative claims databases: underestimation of hospitalized cases.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2014; 23: 902-910
- The impact of standardizing the definition of visits on the consistency of multi-database observational health research.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2015; 15: 13
U.S. Department of Commerce. bea: Bureau of economic analysis. National income and product accounts. Domestric product and income. Price indexes for gross domestic product. URL: https://apps.bea.gov/iTable/iTable.cfm?reqid=19&step=2#reqid=19&step=2&isuri=1&1921=survey Last accessed: December, 30, 2021.
- Adjusting health expenditures for inflation: a review of measures for health services research in the United States.Health Serv Res. 2018; 53: 175-196
- Early surgical therapy for drug-resistant temporal lobe epilepsy: a randomized trial.JAMA. 2012; 307: 922-930
- Resective epilepsy surgery for drug-resistant focal epilepsy: a review.JAMA. 2015; 313: 285-293
- Adverse events related to extraoperative invasive EEG monitoring with subdural grid electrodes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Epilepsia. 2013; 54: 828-839
- Is SEEG safe? A systematic review and meta-analysis of stereo-electroencephalography-related complications.Epilepsia. 2016; 57: 386-401
- Stereotactic EEG practices: a survey of United States tertiary referral epilepsy centers.J Clin Neurophysiol. 2020;
- Increased nationwide use of stereoencephalography for intracranial epilepsy electroencephalography recordings.J Clin Neurosci. 2018; 53: 132-134
- The Wada test in Austrian, Dutch, German, and Swiss epilepsy centers from 2000 to 2005: a review of 1421 procedures.Epilepsy Behav. 2008; 13: 83-89
- Functional MRI is a valid noninvasive alternative to Wada testing.Epilepsy Behav. 2011; 20: 214-222
- Functional MR imaging versus Wada test for evaluation of language lateralization: cost analysis.Radiology. 2004; 230: 49-54
- The role of the Wada test in the surgical treatment of temporal lobe epilepsy: an international survey.Epilepsia. 2008; 49 (discussion 720-715): 715-720
- The cost of epilepsy in the United States: an estimate from population-based clinical and survey data.Epilepsia. 2000; 41: 342-351
- The effectiveness of medical and surgical treatment for children with refractory epilepsy.Neurosurgery. 2020; 88: E73-E82
- Antiseizure medication use and medical resource utilization after resective epilepsy surgery in children in the United States: a contemporary nationwide cross-sectional cohort analysis.Epilepsia. 2022; 63: 824-835
- Racial disparities in the surgical management of intractable temporal lobe epilepsy in the United States: a population-based analysis.Arch Neurol. 2010; 67: 577-583
- Disparities in epilepsy surgery in the United States of America.J Neurol. 2017; 264: 1735-1745
- Comparison of minimally invasive and traditional surgical approaches for refractory mesial temporal lobe epilepsy: A systematic review and meta-analysis of outcomes.Epilepsia. 2021; 62: 831-845