- •This systematic review reports significant reduction in seizures and a potential dose-based increase in discontinuations due to TEAE.
- •When compared with placebo, both 8 mg and 12 mg doses of perampanel showed similar efficacy in seizure control.
- •A higher risk of treatment discontinuation was found among 12 mg users than among 8 mg users.
- •The most reported TEAEs were non-threatening, with the potential possibility of rare but serious adverse psychological outcomes.
- •Further comparative effectiveness trials – as well as longitudinal follow-up observational studies – are needed to decide on the optimal doses for epilepsy management with perampanel.
Abbreviations:ASMs (Antiseizure medications), IPA (International pharmaceutical abstracts), CINAHL (Cumulative index of nursing and allied health literature, Cochrane risk-of-bias tool for randomised trials (RoB 2)), PRISMA (Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses), RCT (Randomised controlled trials), TEAEs (Treatment emergent adverse events), WHO (World Health Organization), ICTRP (International Clinical Trials Registry Platform and RR: Risk ratios)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seizure - European Journal of Epilepsy
WHO. Epilepsy: A Public Health Imperative.; 2019. https://www.who.int/mental_health/neurology/epilepsy/report_2019/en/.
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. The Epilepsies and Seizures. 2018.
- Psychosocial aspects of epilepsy: a wider approach.BJPsych Open. 2016; 2: 270-274https://doi.org/10.1192/bjpo.bp.115.002345
Nguyen V V, Baca CB, Chen JJ, Rogers SJ. Chapter 56 : Epilepsy. 2021.
- Perampanel: a novel, orally active, noncompetitive AMPA-receptor antagonist that reduces seizure activity in rodent models of epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2011; 52: 1331-1340https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1528-1167.2011.03109.x
- Full Prescribing Information Perampanel.Clin Trials. 2012;
- Efficacy, tolerability and safety of perampanel in population with pharmacoresistant focal seizures: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Epilepsy Res. 2022; 182106895https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eplepsyres.2022.106895
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of the efficacy and safety of perampanel in the treatment of partial-onset epilepsy.CNS Drugs. 2013; 27: 817-827https://doi.org/10.1007/s40263-013-0091-9
- Perampanel for tonic-clonic seizures in idiopathic generalized epilepsy.Neurology. 2015; 85: 950-957https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000001930
- Adjunctive perampanel in partial-onset seizures: Asia-Pacific, randomized phase III study.Acta Neurol Scand. 2018; 137: 392-399https://doi.org/10.1111/ane.12883
- Adjunctive perampanel in adolescents with inadequately controlled partial-onset seizures: A randomized study evaluating behavior, efficacy, and safety.Epilepsia. 2016; 57: 1120-1129https://doi.org/10.1111/epi.13417
- PRISMA 2020 Checklist.BMJ. 2021; 372: 2020-2021
- Rayyan-a web and mobile app for systematic reviews.Syst Rev. 2016; 5: 1-11https://doi.org/10.1186/s13643-016-0384-4
- The PRISMA 2020 statement: an updated guideline for reporting systematic reviews.BMJ. 2021; 372: n71https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.n71
RevMan User guide. Welcome to RevMan 5 . 4. 2020;4(May). https://training.cochrane.org/system/files/uploads/protected_file/RevMan5.4_user_guide.pdf.
- Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 6.2. 2021; (editors)https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119536604.ch10
- Tolerability and safety of perampanel: Two randomized dose-escalation studies.Acta Neurol Scand. 2012; 125: 8-15https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0404.2011.01588.x
- Adjunctive perampanel for refractory partial-onset seizures.Neurology. 2012; 79 (LP - 596): 589
- Randomized phase III study 306: adjunctive perampanel for refractory partial-onset seizures.Neurology. 2012; 78: 1408-1415https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0b013e318254473a
- Evaluation of adjunctive perampanel in patients with refractory partial-onset seizures: Results of randomized global phase III study 305.Epilepsia. 2013; 54: 117-125https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1528-1167.2012.03638.x
- Perampanel FDA 2018.Fda. 2018;
- Cognitive effects of adjunctive perampanel for partial-onset seizures: A randomized trial.Epilepsia. 2016; 57: 243-251https://doi.org/10.1111/epi.13279
- Adverse effects and safety profile of perampanel: a review of pooled data.Epilepsia. 2014; 55 (Suppl): 13-15https://doi.org/10.1111/epi.12504
- Safety, efficacy and outcome-related factors of perampanel over 12 months in a real-world setting: The FYDATA study.Epilepsy Res. 2016; 126: 201-210https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eplepsyres.2016.08.001
- Two-year real-world experience with perampanel in patients with refractory focal epilepsy: Austrian data.Ther Adv Neurol Disord. 2016; 9: 445-453https://doi.org/10.1177/1756285616661115
- Perampanel as adjunctive therapy in highly refractory epilepsies: Real-world data from an Italian tertiary care epilepsy centre.J Neurol Sci. 2018; 390: 67-74https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2018.04.017
- Central nervous system adverse effects of new antiepileptic drugs. A meta-analysis of placebo-controlled studies.Seizure. 2008; 17: 405-421https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seizure.2007.12.003
- The efficacy and safety of retigabine and other adjunctive treatments for refractory partial epilepsy: A systematic review and indirect comparison.Seizure. 2012; 21: 665-678https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seizure.2012.07.011
- First clinical experiences with perampanel-The Kork experience in 74 patients.Epilepsia. 2014; 55 (SUPPL): 16-18https://doi.org/10.1111/epi.12492
- Zombielike” Aggression in Perampanel Overdose.Cureus. 2021; 13: 11-14https://doi.org/10.7759/cureus.14971
Registration: Prospero (CRD42021234381)