- •Intracranial high-frequency oscillations (HFOs) show a significant diurnal rhythm.
- •Diurnal rhythm of HFOs is relatively attenuated within the seizure-onset zone (SOZ).
- •Peak difference in HFO density within/outside SOZ consistently precedes seizures.
- •Difference in HFO density within/outside SOZ peaks at 1st hour after arousal and ±2 hours around sleep onset.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seizure - European Journal of Epilepsy
Zarowski M, Loddenkemper T, Vendrame M, Alexopoulos AV, Wyllie E, Kothare SV. Circadian distribution and sleep/wake patterns of generalized seizures in children Epilepsia. 2011 Jun;52:1076-1083.
Loddenkemper T, Vendrame M, Zarowski M, Gregas M, Alexopoulos AV, Wyllie E, et al. Circadian patterns of pediatric seizures Neurology. 2011 Jan 11;76:145-153.
- Sleep-wake distribution and circadian patterns of epileptic seizures in children European journal of paediatric neurology.EJPN. 2016; 20 (Jul): 549-554
Unterberger I, Gabelia D, Prieschl M, Chea K, Hofer M, Hogl B, et al. Sleep disorders and circadian rhythm in epilepsy revisited: a prospective controlled study Sleep medicine. 2015 Feb;16:237-242.
- Circadian and circaseptan rhythms in human epilepsy.Retrospect Cohort Study Lancet Neurol. 2018; 17 (Nov): 977-985
- Seizure occurrence and the circadian rhythm of cortisol.System Rev Epilepsy Behav: E&B. 2015; 47 (Jun): 132-137
Ly JQM, Gaggioni G, Chellappa SL, Papachilleos S, Brzozowski A, Borsu C, et al. Circadian regulation of human cortical excitability Nature communications. 2016 Jun 24;7:11828.
Leguia MG, Andrzejak RG, Rummel C, Fan JM, Mirro EA, Tcheng TK, et al. Seizure Cycles in Focal Epilepsy JAMA neurology. 2021 Apr 1;78:454-463.
Frauscher B, von Ellenrieder N, Zelmann R, Rogers C, Nguyen DK, Kahane P, et al. High-Frequency Oscillations in the Normal Human Brain Annals of neurology. 2018 Sep;84:374-385.
- High-frequency oscillations: what is normal and what is not?.Epilepsia. 2009; 50 (Apr): 598-604
- High frequency oscillations are associated with cognitive processing in human recognition memory Brain.J Neurol. 2014; 137 (Aug): 2231-2244
- Electrographic high-frequency activity and epilepsy.Epilepsy Res. 2010 Mar; 89: 60-65
Navarrete M, Alvarado-Rojas C, Le Van Quyen M, Valderrama M. RIPPLELAB: A Comprehensive Application for the Detection, Analysis and Classification of High Frequency Oscillations in Electroencephalographic Signals PloS one. 2016;11:e0158276.
- A comparison between detectors of high frequency oscillations Clinical neurophysiology:.Off J Int Federation Clin Neurophysiol. 2012 Jan; 123: 106-116
- Automatic detector of high frequency oscillations for human recordings with macroelectrodes Conference proceedings.in: Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society Conference. 2010. 2010: 2329-2333
- Algorithms to detect high frequency oscillations in human intracerebral EEG.McGill University, 2007
Nelson W, Tong YL, Lee JK, Halberg F. Methods for cosinor-rhythmometry Chronobiologia. 1979 Oct-Dec;6:305-323.
Cornelissen G. Cosinor-based rhythmometry Theoretical biology & medical modelling. 2014 Apr 11;11:16.
Sachs M. Package ‘cosinor’. 1.1 ed2014.
- Objective interictal electrophysiology biomarkers optimize prediction of epilepsy surgery outcome.Brain Commun. 2021; 3 (fcab042)
Nagasawa T, Juhasz C, Rothermel R, Hoechstetter K, Sood S, Asano E. Spontaneous and visually driven high-frequency oscillations in the occipital cortex: intracranial recording in epileptic patients Hum Brain Mapp. 2012 Mar;33:569-583.
- Pathological and physiological high-frequency oscillations in focal human epilepsy.J Neurophysiol. 2013 Oct; 110: 1958-1964
- Effect of sleep stage on interictal high-frequency oscillations recorded from depth macroelectrodes in patients with focal epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2009 Apr; 50: 617-628
- Circadian and ultradian patterns of epileptiform discharges differ by seizure-onset location during long-term ambulatory intracranial monitoring.Epilepsia. 2016 Sep; 57: 1495-1502
- Interictal spiking increases with sleep depth in temporal lobe epilepsy.Epilepsia. 1998 Dec; 39: 1309-1316
- Is there a circadian variation of epileptiform abnormalities in idiopathic generalized epilepsy?.Epilepsy Behav: E&B. 2009 Nov; 16: 461-467
Herman ST, Walczak TS, Bazil CW. Distribution of partial seizures during the sleep–wake cycle: differences by seizure onset site Neurology. 2001 Jun 12;56:1453-1459.
- Effects of sleep and sleep stage on epileptic and nonepileptic seizures.Epilepsia. 1997 Jan; 38: 56-62
Agostini A, Centofanti S. Normal Sleep in Children and Adolescence Child and adolescent psychiatric clinics of North America. 2021 Jan;30:1-14.
- Circadian rhythms: interactions with seizures and epilepsy.Epilepsy Res. 2000 Nov; 42: 43-55
Khan S, Nobili L, Khatami R, Loddenkemper T, Cajochen C, Dijk DJ, et al. Circadian rhythm and epilepsy Lancet neurology. 2018 Dec;17:1098-1108.
- Continuous High Frequency Activity: a peculiar SEEG pattern related to specific brain regions Clinical neurophysiology.Off J Int Federation Clin Neurophysiol. 2013 Aug; 124: 1507-1516
Li G, Jiang S, Paraskevopoulou SE, Wang M, Xu Y, Wu Z, et al. Optimal referencing for stereo-electroencephalographic (SEEG) recordings NeuroImage. 2018 Dec;183:327-335.
- Effects of depth electrode montage and single-pulse electrical stimulation sites on neuronal responses and effective connectivity Clinical neurophysiology.Off J Int Federation Clin Neurophysiol. 2020 Dec; 131: 2781-2792
Gliske SV, Irwin ZT, Chestek C, Hegeman GL, Brinkmann B, Sagher O, et al. Variability in the location of high frequency oscillations during prolonged intracranial EEG recordings Nature communications. 2018 Jun 1;9:2155.
- Automatic detection of periods of slow wave sleep based on intracranial depth electrode recordings.J Neurosci Methods. 2017 Apr 15; 282: 1-8
- SleepSEEG: automatic sleep scoring using intracranial EEG recordings only.J Neural Eng. 2022 May 3; : 19
- Fast Ripples as a Biomarker of Epileptogenic Tuber in Tuberous Sclerosis Complex Patients Using Stereo-Electroencephalograph Frontiers in human neuroscience.Original Res. 2021; 15
- Value of ictal and interictal epileptiform discharges and high frequency oscillations for delineating the epileptogenic zone in patients with focal cortical dysplasia Clinical neurophysiology.Off J Int Federation Clin Neurophysiol. 2018 Jun; 129: 1311-1319
- Interictal high-frequency oscillations indicate seizure onset zone in patients with focal cortical dysplasia.Epilepsy Res. 2010 Jun; 90: 28-32
- Loss of CLOCK Results in Dysfunction of Brain Circuits Underlying Focal.Epilepsy Neuron. 2017 Oct 11; 96 (e386): 387-401
Lipton JO, Yuan ED, Boyle LM, Ebrahimi-Fakhari D, Kwiatkowski E, Nathan A, et al. The Circadian Protein BMAL1 Regulates Translation in Response to S6K1-Mediated Phosphorylation Cell. 2015 May 21;161:1138-1151.