- •KD has been gaining ground in Southwest China.
- •KD was effective in controlling seizures, but long-term adherence was difficult.
- •Compliance problem was prominent, and some reasons for discontinuation were avoidable.
- •Enhancing food taste and patient support can help to improve the retention rate.
- •Disadvantages of KD such as negative impacts on linear growth were also observed.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seizure - European Journal of Epilepsy
- Optimal clinical management of children receiving dietary therapies for epilepsy: Updated recommendations of the International Ketogenic Diet Study Group.Epilepsia Open. 2018; 3: 175-192
- Ketogenic diets for drug-resistant epilepsy.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2020; 6CD001903
- The effect of ketonemia on the course of epilepsy.Mayo Clin Bull. 1921; 2: 307-308
- The ketogenic diet: one decade later.Pediatrics. 2007; 119: 535-543
- Worldwide use of the ketogenic diet.Epilepsia. 2005; 46: 280-289
- Dietary therapies: a worldwide phenomenon.Epilepsy Res. 2012; 100: 205-209
- Chinese medical association, epilepsy CAA, and editorial board CJoP, Consensus on ketogenic diet therapy for epilepsy and related nervous system diseases.Chin J Pediatr. 2019; 57: 820-825
- Pires MEP, and da Conceição PO, ketogenic diet and epilepsy: what we know so far.Front Neurosci. 2019; 13: 5
- Practice paper of the academy of nutrition and dietetics: classic and modified ketogenic diets for treatment of epilepsy.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017; 117: 1279-1292
- A national survey on physical growth and development of children under seven years of age in nine cities of China in 2015.Chin J Pediatr. 2018; 56: 192-199
- Analysis on the trend of physical development of children aged 7-17 years old in China from 1982 to 2012.Chin J Prev Med. 2020; 54: 572-576
- Definition of drug resistant epilepsy: consensus proposal by the ad hoc task force of the ILAE commission on therapeutic strategies.Epilepsia. 2010; 51: 1069-1077
- Efficacy of the ketogenic diet in focal versus generalized seizures.Pediatr Neurol. 2001; 25: 208-212
- Efficacy and safety of the ketogenic diet for intractable childhood epilepsy: Korean multicentric experience.Epilepsia. 2005; 46: 272-279
- The ketogenic diet in infants–advantages of early use.Epilepsy Res. 2015; 116: 53-58
- The efficacy and safety of a ketogenic diet for children with refractory epilepsy in China: a retrospective single-center cohort study.Transl Pediatr. 2020; 9: 561-566
- Efficacy of the classic ketogenic and the modified Atkins diets in refractory childhood epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2016; 57: 51-58
- Treatment Outcomes in patients with newly diagnosed epilepsy treated with established and new antiepileptic drugs: a 30-year longitudinal cohort study.JAMA Neurol. 2018; 75: 279-286
- Patterns of treatment response in newly diagnosed epilepsy.Neurology. 2012; 78: 1548-1554
- Use of the modified Atkins diet for treatment of refractory childhood epilepsy: a randomized controlled trial.Epilepsia. 2013; 54: 481-486
- Social contacts and mixing patterns relevant to the spread of infectious diseases.PLoS Med. 2008; 5: e74
- Ketogenic diets and chronic disease: weighing the benefits against the risks.Front Nutr. 2021; 8702802
- Optimized mid-long term management of ketogenic diet in children with refractory epilepsy.J Biol Regul Homeost Agents. 2019; 33: 913-918
- Complications during ketogenic diet initiation: prevalence, treatment, and influence on seizure outcomes.Pediatr Neurol. 2017; 68: 35-39
- Safety and tolerability of the ketogenic diet used for the treatment of refractory childhood epilepsy: a systematic review of published prospective studies.World J Pediatr. 2017; 13: 528-536
- Long-term impact of the ketogenic diet on growth and resting energy expenditure in children with intractable epilepsy.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2014; 56: 898-904
- Catch-up growth after long-term implementation and weaning from ketogenic diet in pediatric epileptic patients.Clin Nutr. 2013; 32: 98-103
- Growth retardation in children with epilepsy on the ketogenic diet: a retrospective chart review.J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 102: 405-407
- Linear growth of children on a ketogenic diet: does the protein-to-energy ratio matter?.J Child Neurol. 2014; 29: 1496-1501
- Growth of children on classical and medium-chain triglyceride ketogenic diets.Pediatrics. 2008; 122: e334-e340
- A prospective study on changes in nutritional status and growth following two years of ketogenic diet (KD) therapy in children with refractory epilepsy.Nutrients. 2019; 11: 1596
- Premature mortality in people with epilepsy in rural China: a prospective study.Lancet Neurol. 2006; 5: 823-827
- Low-carbohydrate diets and all-cause mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies.PLoS ONE. 2013; 8: e55030