- •The prevalence of pilomotor seizures in patients affected by limbic encephalitis may be higher than expected.
- •LGI1 and GAD65 emerged as the most frequently associated antibodies to ictal piloerection.
- •SSR recording may help detecting ictal piloerection.
Discussion and conclusion
Abbreviations:IP (Ictal piloerection), LE (Limbic encephalitis), Ab (Antibodies)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seizure - European Journal of Epilepsy
- Localising and lateralising value of ictal piloerection.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2004; 75: 879-883
- Autonomic auras: left hemispheric predominance of epileptic generators of cold shivers and goose bumps?.Epilepsia. 2002; 43: 41-45
- Pilomotor seizures: an autonomic semiology of limbic encephalitis?.Seizure. 2014; 23: 670-673
- Ictal piloerection is associated with high-grade glioma and autoimmune encephalitis-results from a systematic review.Seizure. 2019; 64: 1-5
- A clinical approach to diagnosis of autoimmune encephalitis.Lancet Neurol. 2016; 15: 391-404
- Searching for serum antibodies to neuronal proteins in patients with myalgic encephalopathy/chronic fatigue syndrome.Clin Ther. 2019; 41: 836-847https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinthera.2019.04.001
- Orbitofrontal syndrome and “goosebumps”-a new manifestation of autoimmune epilepsy in anti-LGI1 encephalitis.Seizure. 2021; 86: 68-69
- Clinical features which predict neuronal surface autoantibodies in new-onset focal epilepsy: implications for immunotherapies.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2021; 92: 291-294
- Autoimmune epilepsy: clinical characteristics and response to immunotherapy.Arch Neurol. 2012; 69: 582-593
- Pilomotor seizures: an unusual presentation of limbic encephalitis.Acta Neurol Belg. 2016; 116: 365-367
- LGI1-antibody associated epilepsy successfully treated in the outpatient setting.J Neuroimmunol. 2020; 345577268
- Anti-LGI1 encephalitis clinical syndrome and long-term follow-up.Neurology. 2016; 4 (87): 1449-1456
- Pilomotor seizures marked by infraslow activity and acetazolamide responsiveness.Ann Clin Transl Neurol. 2019; 6: 167-173
- Pilomotor seizures and status in non-paraneoplastic limbic encephalitis.Epileptic Disord. 2005; 7: 205-211
- Pilomotor seizures in a patient with LGI1 encephalitis.Front Neurol. 2020; 11 (20): 61
- 16Evaluation of cognitive deficits and structural hippocampal damage in encephalitis with leucine-rich, glioma-inactivated 1 antibodies.JAMA Neurol. 2017; 74: 50-59
- LGI1-antibody encephalitis is characterised by frequent, multifocal clinical and subclinical seizures.Seizure. 2017; 50: 14-17
- Stop testing for autoantibodies to the VGKC-complex: only request LGI1 and CASPR2.Pract Neurol. 2020; 20: 377-384
- Intracellular and non-neuronal targets of voltage-gated potassium channel complex antibodies.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2017; 88: 353-361
- Refractory chronic epilepsy associated with neuronal auto-antibodies: could perisylvian semiology be a clue?.Epileptic Disord. 2017; 19: 439-449
- Neurological syndromes associated with anti-GAD antibodies.Int J Mol Sci. 2020; 21: 3701
- Sympathetic skin response Basic mechanisms and clinical applications.Clin Auton Res. 2003; 13: 256-270
- Strategies for non-EEG seizure detection and timing for alerting and interventions with tonic-clonic seizures.Epilepsia. 2018; 59: 36-41