- •For subjects living at sea level, exposure to high altitudes for a short period is associated with an increased risk of new-onset seizures.
- •The risk of new-onset seizures increases with increasing altitudes from 2500 m to >5800 m.
- •A specific etiology may not be ascertainable in most cases of seizures at high-altitude, but it is important to stay vigilant about excluding cerebral venous thrombosis.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seizure - European Journal of Epilepsy
- High-altitude illness.N Engl J Med. 2001; 345 (Jul 12): 107-114
- High-altitude illness.Lancet. 2003; 361 (Jun 7): 1967-1974
- The cerebral effects of ascent to high altitudes.Lancet Neurol. 2009; 8 (Feb): 175-191
- Incidence of acute symptomatic seizures in Rochester.Minnesota. 1995; 36 (1935-1984 EpilepsiaApr): 327-333
- Incidence of epilepsy and unprovoked seizures in Rochester.Minnesota. 1993; 34 (1935-1984 EpilepsiaMay-Jun): 453-468
- Emergency Medicine Seizure Study G. Emergency department management of patients with seizures: a multicenter study.Acad Emerg Med. 2001; 8 (Jun): 622-628
- Epidemiology of new onset seizures and epilepsy cases: a prospective cohort study.Int J Epileps. 2020; 6: 30-38
Saha S.P., Bhattachrya S., Roy B.K., Basu A., Maity A., Das S.K. A prospective incidence study of epilepsy in a rural community of West-Bengal, India. 2008.
- The Yelandur study: a community-based approach to epilepsy in rural.South India–Epidemiol Aspects Seizure. 1998; 7 (Aug): 281-288
- Epilepsy in India I: Epidemiology and public health.Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 2015; 18 (Jul-Sep): 263-277
- Incidence of first epileptic seizures in the canton of Geneva.Switzerland Epilepsia. 1997; 38 (May): 547-552
- Aublet B. Survey of seizure disorders in the French southwest. I. Incidence of epileptic syndromes.Epilepsia. 1990; 31 (Jul-Aug): 391-396
- First seizure definitions and worldwide incidence and mortality.Epilepsia. 2008; 49 (Suppl 1): 8-12
- Incidence and clinical characterization of unprovoked seizures in adults: a prospective population-based study.Epilepsia. 1996; 37 (Mar): 224-229
- The brain at high altitude: hypometabolism as a defense against chronic hypoxia?.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 1994; 14 (Jul): 671-679
- Evolution of human hypoxia tolerance physiology.Adv Exp Med Biol. 2000; 475: 25-43
- Noninvasive assessment of cerebral oxygenation during high altitude trekking in the Nepal Himalayas 2850-5600.Neurol Res. 2003; 25 (Mar): 183-188
- Ravenhill and his contributions to mountain sickness.J Appl Physiol. 1985; 80 (1996 Mar): 715-724
- Cognitive function at high altitude.Hum Factors. 1993; 35 (Jun): 329-344
- Psychological testing at high altitudes.Aviat Space Environ Med. 1982; 53 (Feb): 122-126
- The threshold for hypoxia effects on perceptual-motor performance.Hum Factors. 1987; 29 (Feb): 61-66
- Altitude and coagulation activation: does going high provoke thrombosis?.Acta Haematol. 2008; 119: 156-157
- Cerebral blood flow in acute mountain sickness.J Appl Physiol. 1985; 69 (1990 Aug): 430-433
- Brain adenosine concentration during hypoxia in rats.Am J Physiol. 1981; 241 (Aug): H235-H242
- The role of adenosine in the regulation of cerebral blood flow.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 1981; 1: 239-244
- The role of nitric oxide synthase/nitric oxide in vascular smooth muscle control.Perfusion. 2000; 15 (Mar): 97-104
- Cerebral vasodilatation to exogenous NO is a measure of fitness for life at altitude.Stroke. 2006; 37 (Jul): 1754-1758
- Hypoxia-inducible factor-1 mediates activation of cultured vascular endothelial cells by inducing multiple angiogenic factors.Circ Res. 2003; 93 (Oct 3): 664-673
- Hypoxia-induced vascular endothelial growth factor expression causes vascular leakage in the brain.Brain. 2002; 125 (Nov): 2549-2557
- Free radical-mediated damage to barrier function is not associated with altered brain morphology in high-altitude headache.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2006; 26 (Jan): 99-111
- Radical dioxygen: from gas to (unpaired!) electrons.Adv Exp Med Biol. 2003; 543: 201-221
✰We confirm that we have read the journal's position on issues involved in ethical publication and affirm that this report is consistent with those guidelines.