6. Clinical manifestation
6.2 Electroencephalographic findings
- Go C.Y.
- Mackay M.T.
- Weiss S.K.
- Stephens D.
- Adams-Webber T.
- Ashwal S.
- et al.
- Fukuoka M.
- Kuki I.
- Kawawaki H.
- Okazaki S.
- Kim K.
- Hattori Y.
- et al.
9. Epilepsy surgery
Conflict of interest statement
- On a peculiar form of infantile convulsions.Lancet. 1841; 1: 2
- Diagnosis and prognosis of hypsarhythmia and infantile spasms.Pediatrics. 1954; 13: 7
- Findings in 21 cases of Gibbs’ hypsarrhythmia spectacular effectiveness of ACTH.Acta Neurol Psychiatr Belg. 1958; 58: 130-141
- Summary of recommendations for the management of infantile seizures: Task Force Report for the ILAE Commission of Pediatrics.Epilepsia. 2015; 56: 1185-1197
- Long-term prognosis of 150 cases of “West syndrome”.Epilepsia. 1973; 14: 153-164
- A long-term follow-up study of 214 children with the syndrome of infantile spasms.Neuropediatrics. 1982; 13: 14-23
- A proposal for case definitions and outcome measures in studies of infantile spasms and West syndrome: consensus statement of the West Delphi group.Epilepsia. 2004; 45: 1416-1428
- Children with epilepsy in Africa: recommendations from the international child neurology association/African child neurology association workshop.J Child Neurol. 2013; 28: 633-644
- Management of epilepsy associated with tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC): clinical recommendations.Eur J Paediatr Neurol. 2012; 16: 582-586
- Late-onset epileptic spasms: clinical evidence and outcome in 34 patients.J Child Neurol. 2015; 30: 153-159
- Ictal electroencephalography and electromyography features in symptomatic infantile epileptic encephalopathy with late-onset spasms.Neuropediatrics. 2014; 45: 36-41
- Etiology and long-term outcomes of late-onset infantile spasms.Neuropediatrics. 2015; 46: 269-276
- Revised terminology and concepts for organization of seizures and epilepsies: report of the ILAE Commission on Classification and Terminology, 2005–2009.Epilepsia. 2010; 51: 676-685
- The epidemiology and natural history of infantile spasms.J Child Neurol. 1991; 6: 355-364
- Epidemiological data of West syndrome in Finland.Brain Dev. 2001; 23: 539-541
- Infantile spasms syndrome, West syndrome and related phenotypes: what we know in 2013.Brain Dev. 2014; 36: 739-751
- Epidemiology of epilepsy in developing countries.Bull World Health Organ. 1993; 71: 247-258
- Epilepsy in rural Ugandan children: seizure pattern, age of onset and associated findings.Afr Health Sci. 2010; 10: 218-225
- Workshop on infantile spasms.Epilepsia. 1992; 33: 195
- The epidemiology of infantile spasms.Can J Neurol Sci. 2001; 28: 309-312
- Perinatal maternal and neonatal outcomes in women with gestational diabetes mellitus according to fetal sex.Gend Med. 2012; 9: 411-417
- Infantile spasms and pertussis immunisation.Lancet. 1983; 1: 1031-1034
- The underlying etiology of infantile spasms (West syndrome): information from the United Kingdom Infantile Spasms Study (UKISS) on contemporary causes and their classification.Epilepsia. 2010; 51: 2168-2174
- How should children with West syndrome be efficiently and accurately investigated? Results from the National Infantile Spasms Consortium.Epilepsia. 2015; 56: 617-625
- GRIN2 B mutations in West syndrome and intellectual disability with focal epilepsy.Ann Neurol. 2014; 75: 147-154
- Molecular characterization of a cohort of 73 patients with infantile spasms syndrome.Eur J Med Genet. 2015; 58: 51-58
- Hereditary neurometabolic causes of infantile spasms in 80 children presenting to a tertiary care center.Pediatr Neurol. 2014; 51: 390-397
- Infantile spasms: a U. S. consensus report.Epilepsia. 2010; 51: 2175-2189
- Infantile spasms.Pediatr Clin North Am. 1989; 36: 311-329
- The origin of infantile spasms: evidence from a case of hydranencephaly.Dev Med Child Neurol. 1972; 14: 644-647
- Brainstem involvement in infantile spasms: a study employing brainstem evoked potentials and magnetic resonance imaging.Neuropediatrics. 1993; 24: 126-130
- MRI findings in infants with infantile spasms after neonatal hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy.Pediatr Neurol. 2013; 49: 401-405
- Infantile spasms: I:. PET identifies focal cortical dysgenesis in cryptogenic cases for surgical treatment.Ann Neurol. 1990; 27: 406-413
- Time interval from a brain insult to the onset of infantile spasms.Pediatr Neurol. 2008; 38: 34-37
- Electroencephalographic evolution of hypsarrhythmia: toward an early treatment option.Epilepsia. 2008; 49: 1859-1864
- Pediatric epilepsy syndromes.in: Ebersole J.S. Hussain A.M. Nordli D.R. Current practice of clinical electroencephalography. 4th edition. Wolters Kluwer Health, Philadelphia2014
- Infantile spasms semiology and pathophysiology: have we made progress?.in: Moshe S.L. Cross J.H. De Bellescize J. Seizures and syndromes of onset in the two first years of life. 1st edition. John Libbey Eurotext, Montrouge, France2013
- Infantile epileptic encephalopathy with hypsarrhythmia (infantile spasms/West syndrome).J Clin Neurophysiol. 2003; 20: 408-425
- Infantile spasms without hypsarrhythmia: a study of 16 cases.Seizure. 2011; 20: 197-202
- Benign myoclonus of early infancy or benign non-epileptic infantile spasms.Neuropediatrics. 1986; 17: 33-38
- Observation of the antagonistic effects of posterior pituitary and cortico-adrenal hormones in the epileptic subjects.J Clin Endocrin Metab. 1942; 2: 1
- Evidence-based guideline update: medical treatment of infantile spasms. Report of the Guideline Development Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and the Practice Committee of the Child Neurology Society.Neurology. 2012; 78: 1974-1980
- Treatment of infantile spasms.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; 6 (CD001770)
- Response to treatment in a prospective national infantile spasms cohort.Ann Neurol. 2016; 79: 475-484
- Vigabatrin: as initial therapy for infantile spasms: a European retrospective survey. Sabril IS Investigator and Peer Review Groups.Epilepsia. 1996; 37: 638-642
- Randomized trial comparing vigabatrin and hydrocortisone in infantile spasms due to tuberous sclerosis.Epilepsy Res. 1997; 26: 389-395
- Vigabatrin versus ACTH as first-line treatment for infantile spasms: a randomized, prospective study.Epilepsia. 1997; 38: 1270-1274
- Visual field constriction in 91 Finnish children treated with vigabatrin.Epilepsia. 2002; 43: 748-756
- The United Kingdom Infantile Spasms Study comparing vigabatrin with prednisolone or tetracosactide at 14 days: a multicentre, randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2004; 364: 1773-1778
- The United Kingdom Infantile Spasms Study (UKISS) comparing hormone treatment with vigabatrin on developmental and epilepsy outcomes to age 14 months: a multicentre randomised trial.Lancet Neurol. 2005; 4: 712-717
- High-dose oral prednisolone for infantile spasms: an effective and less expensive alternative to ACTH.Epilepsy Behav. 2009; 14: 674-676
- Treatment of infantile spasms with very high dose prednisolone before high dose adrenocorticotropic hormone.Epilepsia. 2014; 55: 103-107
- Ketogenic diet for treatment of infantile spasms.Brain Dev. 2006; 28: 566-571
- Infantile spasms treated with the ketogenic diet: prospective single-center experience in 104 consecutive infants.Epilepsia. 2010; 51: 1403-1407
- Comparison of short- versus long-term ketogenic diet for intractable infantile spasms.Epilepsia. 2011; 52: 781-787
- Abdelmoity, Ketogenic diet efficacy in the treatment of intractable epileptic spasms.Pediatri Neurol. 2014; 50: 224-227
- A case-control evaluation of the ketogenic diet versus ACTH for new-onset infantile spasms.Epilepsia. 2008; 49: 1504-1509
- Prognostic factors of infantile spasms: role of treatment options including a ketogenic diet.Brain Dev. 2013; 35: 821-826
- Ketogenic diet for infantile spasms refractory to first-line treatments: an open prospective study.Epilepsy Res. 2013; 105: 189-194
- Limited efficacy of the ketogenic diet in the treatment of highly refractory epileptic spasms.Seizure. 2016; 35: 59-64
- De novo KCNT1 mutations in early-onset epileptic encephalopathy.Epilepsia. 2015; 56: e121-e128
- Quinidine therapy for West syndrome with KCNTI mutation: a case report.Brain Dev. 2016; (pii: S0387-7604(16)30106-1 (Epub ahead of print))https://doi.org/10.1016/j.braindev.2016.08.002
- Ineffective quinidine therapy in early onset epileptic encephalopathy with KCNT1 mutation.Ann Neurol. 2016; 79: 502-503
- Developmental and epilepsy outcomes at age 4 years in the UKISS trial comparing hormonal treatments to vigabatrin for infantile spasms: a multi-centre randomised trial.Arch Dis Child. 2010; 95: 382-386
- The effect of lead time to treatment and of age of onset on developmental outcome at 4 years in infantile spasms: evidence from the United Kingdom Infantile Spasms Study.Epilepsia. 2011; 52: 1359-1364
- Variable expression of mental retardation, autism, seizures, and dystonic hand movements in two families with an identical ARX gene mutation.Am J Med Genet. 2002; 112: 405-411
- Head growth in infants with infantile spasms may be temporarily reduced.Pediatr Neurol. 2006; 35: 197-203
- Mental and behavioural outcome of infantile epilepsy treated by vigabatrin in tuberous sclerosis patients.Epilepsy Res. 2000; 38: 151-160
- Infantile spasms in Down syndrome?effects of delayed anticonvulsive treatment.Epilepsy Res. 2003; 55: 21-27
- Focal features in West syndrome indicating candidacy for surgery.Pediatr Neurol. 1997; 16: 213-217
- Treatment of infantile spasms: medical or surgical?.Epilepsia. 1992; 33: S26-S31
- Surgery for intractable infantile spasms: neuroimaging perspectives.Epilepsia. 1993; 34: 764-771
- Etiologic classification of infantile spasms in 140 cases: role of positron emission tomography.J Child Neurol. 1996; 11: 44-48
- Developmental outcomes in children receiving resection surgery for medically intractable infantile spasms.Dev Med Child Neurol. 1997; 39: 430-440
- Infantile spasms: outcome and prognostic factors of cryptogenic and symptomatic groups.Neurology. 1993; 43: 2322-2327
- Mental outcome in West syndrome: prognostic value of some clinical factors.J Ment Defic Res. 1987; 31: 9-15
- Prospective study of outcome of infants with infantile spasms treated during controlled studies of ACTH and prednisone.J Pediatr. 1988; 112: 389-396
- Surgery for symptomatic infant-onset epileptic encephalopathy with and without infantile spasms.Neurology. 2005; 64: 746-750
- Developmental outcome after epilepsy surgery in infancy.Pediatrics. 2007; 119: 930-935
User LicenseElsevier user license |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy