- •The functional MRI connectivity studies revealed the pathophysiologies of epilepsy.
- •Functional connectivity methods are used to explore the underlying mechanism of psychiatric comorbidities.
- •fMRI connectivity have potential clinical utility value.
2. fMRI connectivity and pathophysiology
2.1 Focal epilepsies
2.1.1 Temporal lobe epilepsy
- Tousseyn S.
- Dupont P.
- Goffin K.
- Sunaert S.
- Van Paesschen W.
- Tousseyn S.
- Dupont P.
- Goffin K.
- Sunaert S.
- Van Paesschen W.
2.1.2 Frontal lobe epilepsy
2.2 Genetic generalized epilepsies
2.2.1 Absence epilepsy
2.2.2 Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy
2.3 Specific epileptic syndromes
3. fMRI connectivity and neurocognitive and psychiatric comorbidities
4. fMRI connectivity and its potential value in clinical decision making
Conflict of interest statement
- Revised terminology and concepts for organization of seizures and epilepsies: report of the ILAE Commission on Classification and Terminology, 2005-2009.Epilepsia. 2010; 51: 676-685
- Functional imaging of seizures and epilepsy.Curr Opin Neurol. 2012; 25: 194-200
- Resting state networks in temporal lobe epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2013; 54: 2048-2059
- Decreased basal fMRI functional connectivity in epileptogenic networks and contralateral compensatory mechanisms.Hum Brain Mapp. 2009; 30: 1580-1591
- Role of resting state functional connectivity MRI in presurgical investigation of mesial temporal lobe epilepsy.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2010; 81: 1147-1154
- Altered functional connectivity and small-world in mesial temporal lobe epilepsy.PLoS One. 2010; 5: e8525
- Extratemporal functional connectivity impairments at rest are related to memory performance in mesial temporal epilepsy.Hum Brain Mapp. 2012; 34: 2202-2216
- Lateralization of temporal lobe epilepsy using resting functional magnetic resonance imaging connectivity of hippocampal networks.Epilepsia. 2012; 53: 1628-1635
- Functional connectivity evidence of cortico-cortico inhibition in temporal lobe epilepsy.Hum Brain Mapp. 2012; (n/a-n/a)
- Correspondence between large-scale ictal and interictal epileptic networks revealed by single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) and electroencephalography (EEG)-functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI).Epilepsia. 2015; 56: 382-392
- A prospective fMRI-based technique for localising the epileptogenic zone in presurgical evaluation of epilepsy.Neuroimage. 2015; 113 (Elsevier Inc): 329-339
- Frontal lobe function and structure in juvenile myoclonic epilepsy: a comprehensive review of neuropsychological and imaging data.Epilepsia. 2012; 53: 2091-2098
- Recent seizure activity alters motor organization in frontal lobe epilepsy as revealed by task-based fMRI.Epilepsy Res. 2014; 108 (Elsevier B.V): 1286-1298
- Frontal lobe epilepsy alters functional connections within the brain's motor network: a resting-state fMRI study.Brain Connect. 2014; 4: 91-99
- Memory in frontal lobe epilepsy: an fMRI study.Epilepsia. 2012; 53: 1756-1764
- Thalamic synchrony and dynamic regulation of global forebrain oscillations.Trends Neurosci. 2007; 30: 350-356
- The core network in absence epilepsy: differences in cortical and thalamic BOLD response.Neurology. 2010; 75: 904-911
- Spontaneous fluctuations in brain activity observed with functional magnetic resonance imaging.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2007; 8: 700-711
- Impaired consciousness in epilepsy.Lancet Neurol. 2012; 11 (Elsevier Ltd): 814-826
- EEG–fMRI study on the interictal and ictal generalized spike-wave discharges in patients with childhood absence epilepsy.Epilepsy Res. 2009; 87: 160-168
- Altered functional connectivity in default mode network in absence epilepsy: a resting-state fMRI study.Hum Brain Mapp. 2011; 32: 438-449
- The frontal lobe in absence epilepsy: EEG-fMRI findings.Neurology. 2012; 78: 1157-1165
- Impaired attention and network connectivity in childhood absence epilepsy.Neuroimage. 2011; 56 (Elsevier Inc): 2209-2217
- Resting functional connectivity between the hemispheres in childhood absence epilepsy.Neurology. 2011; 76: 1960-1967
- Motor system hyperconnectivity in juvenile myoclonic epilepsy: a cognitive functional magnetic resonance imaging study.Brain. 2011; 134: 1710-1719
- Cortical triggers in generalized reflex seizures and epilepsies.Brain. 2005; 128: 700-710
- Benign childhood focal epilepsies.Epilepsia. 2012; 53: 9-18
- Mapping brain activity using event-related independent components analysis (eICA): specific advantages for EEG-fMRI.Neuroimage. 2013; 70 (Elsevier Inc): 164-174
- EEG-fMRI in atypical benign partial epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2013; (n/a-n/a)
- Neuronal networks in children with continuous spikes and waves during slow sleep.Brain. 2010; 133: 2798-2813
- The system epilepsies: a pathophysiological hypothesis.Epilepsia. 2012; 53: 771-778
- Networks underlying paroxysmal fast activity and slow spike and wave in Lennox-Gastaut syndrome.Neurology. 2013; 81: 665-673
- EEG-fMRI in myoclonic astatic epilepsy (Doose syndrome).Neurology. 2014; 82: 1508-1513
- EEG-fMRI study of the ictal and interictal epileptic activity in patients with eyelid myoclonia with absences.Epilepsia. 2008; 49: 2078-2086
- Depression in epilepsy: a complex relation with unexpected consequences.Curr Opin Neurol. 2008; 21: 190-194
- Resting-state fMRI study of treatment-naïve temporal lobe epilepsy patients with depressive symptoms.Neuroimage. 2012; 60: 299-304
- Frontolimbic brain networks predict depressive symptoms in temporal lobe epilepsy.Epilepsy Res. 2014; 108 (Elsevier B.V): 1554-1563
- Left-sided interictal epileptic activity induces shift of language lateralization in temporal lobe epilepsy: an fMRI study.Epilepsia. 2006; 47: 921-927
- Productive and perceptive language reorganization in temporal lobe epilepsy.Neuroimage. 2005; 24: 841-851
- Abnormalities of language networks in temporal lobe epilepsy.Neuroimage. 2007; 36: 209-221
- Functional connectivity networks are disrupted in left temporal lobe epilepsy.Ann Neurol. 2006; 59: 335-343
- Optimizing memory function in temporal lobe epilepsy.Seizure: Eur J Epilepsy. 2016; 1 (BEA Trading Ltd): 68-74
- Functional and structural changes in the memory network associated with left temporal lobe epilepsy.Hum Brain Mapp. 2009; 30: 4070-4081
- Aberrant functional connectivity in dissociable hippocampal networks is associated with deficits in memory.J Neurosci. 2014; 34: 4920-4928
- Thalamo-cortical disruption contributes to short-term memory deficits in patients with medial temporal lobe damage.Cereb Cortex. 2015; 25: 4584-4595
- Risk-taking behavior in juvenile myoclonic epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2013; 54: 2158-2165
- Resilience of developing brain networks to interictal epileptiform discharges is associated with cognitive outcome.Brain. 2014; 137: 2690-2702
- Real-time effects of centrotemporal spikes on cognition in rolandic epilepsy: an EEG-fMRI study.Neurology. 2016; 8
- Epileptic discharges specifically affect intrinsic connectivity networks during absence seizures.J Neurol Sci. 2014; 336 (Elsevier B.V): 138-145
- Altered intrinsic functional connectivity of the salience network in childhood absence epilepsy.J Neurol Sci. 2014; 339 (Elsevier B.V): 189-195
- The effect of topiramate on cognitive fMRI.Epilepsy Res. 2013; 17 (Elsevier B.V): 1-6
- Altered cerebral activity associated with topiramate and its withdrawal in patients with epilepsy with language impairment: an fMRI study using the verb generation task.Epilepsy Behav. 2016; 59: 98-104
- Levetiracetam reduces abnormal network activations in temporal lobe epilepsy.Neurology. 2014; 24
- Functional MRI connectivity as a predictor of the surgical outcome of epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2011; 52: 1733-1740
- Altered functional connectivity in seizure onset zones revealed by fMRI intrinsic connectivity.Neurology. 2014; 83: 2269-2277
- The long-term outcome of adult epilepsy surgery, patterns of seizure remission, and relapse: a cohort study.Lancet. 2011; 378 (Elsevier Ltd): 1388-1395
- Default mode network connectivity indicates episodic memory capacity in mesial temporal lobe epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2013; 54: 809-818
- Memory fMRI predicts verbal memory decline after anterior temporal lobe resection.Neurology. 2015; 84: 1512-1519
- Memory network plasticity after temporal lobe resection: a longitudinal functional imaging study.Brain. 2016; (awv365)
- Imaging language networks before and after anterior temporal lobe resection: results of a longitudinal fMRI study.Epilepsia. 2012; 53: 639-650
User LicenseElsevier user license |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy